Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Great Exhibition of 1891


 


Hello, The year is 1851 and my name is A. C. Sinclair. I have been thinking about going to do an exhibition in my home town Jamaica. The people in Jamaica already know me because I was One of the compilers of the annual Handbooks of Jamaica. The 1851 Great Exhibition at London's Crystal Palace really got me acting...

So now the year is 1889, and I have tried so many times but it is hard to find support for an independent project like this. Word on the street is that Jamaica has a new governor. I heard his name is Sir Henry Blake or something. So I went to persuade William Fawcett, a chairman of the Institute of Jamaica to help me present my cause to Governor Blake. Telling Governor Blake was such a great idea, right after I told him he addressed my exhibition at a public meeting on September 19, 1889. he put three resolutions before the leading gentlemen of Kingston, one of which requested Jamaican gentlemen to act as guarantors to the extent of 10 pounds or more. The response was so overwhelming that over 800 pounds was collected at that same meeting. Shortly after that a special committee received over 10,000 pounds in guarantees in Kingston alone and the country parishes raised nearly 17,000 pounds more by the end of June 1890. I overheard some people saying that this Exhibition is " the most extraordinary commercial event in the history of the Gulf of Mexico and the West Indies," ...

 Now the day is January 27, 1891 and I am officially on my exhibition. WOW!!!! does time fly it is already May 2, 1891 know my exhibition is coming to a close. I had a great time and changed a lot of lives.

A flyer to promote the great exhibition

No comments:

Post a Comment